Poetry

The target of poetry is the soul. The goal is to attract the soul like a flower attracts a butterfly. But sometimes it is a thistle on which the butterfly lands. Who can predict the pattern of a butterfly’s flit? Poetry changes our flit plans, not always predictably.





Friday, April 02, 2004

For My Children

I've been thinking that one of the reasons I like journaling is a family thing. My dad left a lot of writing type things behind him when he died. I liked that. It helped me understand myself to come to understand him better. I realize that one of my goals in journaling is to give that kind of a gift to my children. That also is one of the reasons I don't like a rambling type journal. I want to cut to the useful meat of the matters so as not to waste other peoples time with the mundane side of my life.


I visited everyone in Eau Claire, Wis. last week. Had a chance to do some work on daughter, Bethany's house. It was a great time. I didn't get to do all the things with the grandchildren that I wanted but we had some fun times. I love being with my family. They always make me feel welcome. I was also very glad to get back to JPUSA. That doesn't mean I do not value my family enough or love JPUSA more. I wrote in a poem once that in the midst of my children - there's the real me. On the other hand being amongst a people who have taken me in, in the midst of turmoil in my life, who have given me a place of ministry alongside them, I love them too. Do I love my children because they are perfect? No. Do I love my brothers and sisters at JPUSA because they are perfect? No. It is all relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment