Poetry

The target of poetry is the soul. The goal is to attract the soul like a flower attracts a butterfly. But sometimes it is a thistle on which the butterfly lands. Who can predict the pattern of a butterfly’s flit? Poetry changes our flit plans, not always predictably.





Saturday, April 10, 2004

the Attic of the World (a dream)

I wanted to get in to the attic of the world..
(A dream)

It was a snowy field down a gentle slope. A bright sunny day
I need to tame the beast, I said to my companion; the wolf who has been the antagonist of my youthful, dreams, The chaser. Many times I have escaped his snapping jaws in a mad rush through the forest leaping just in time up to the back porch of home.
I was a man in a child's body. I said to my pal, I want to have the wolf as a friend, my dog, my pet, to play and scamper with. And then I looked and behold the wolf chasing a prey, not me this time, thank God.
Let's get him, I said, at the same time recoiling at the task. My comrade rushed ahead. We were both calling to the beast. I thought, he is too caught up in he chase. He will never stop, but my buddy caught him by the fur. There was no fight, no rending of flesh. And as the wolf came panting up to me and licked my fingers I saw his essence appear under my caressing hand. The wolf was just a manifestation of another beast, a bull with long horns and massive, rippling muscles. The long, long horns were the last of the vision to merge back into the fur, teeth and paws of the now dog friendly wolf.
I looked at our troupe, a team set for adventure; I, the wolf and she who caught the wolf for me.
We traveled on, across the snow, up and up to where the sky began. And right there I could see that only thin board separated between me and the attic of the world.
I began to tear away at the barrier. This was my task that I could do for my companions. Some of the boards came easily. Others, I had to snap and break. I was afraid to make noise because the adults would make me stop and not let me go in to the attic. I stopped for a moment peering through the hole I had made. I could see the rafters and roofing boards. I knew there would be no decorating there, no painted or plastered walls. This was liebenstraum, a place for us where we could always be together. Somehow I knew it was populated only by children. There, we could peek out upon the world.
And now I am falling asleep, writing this, but back then, I woke up and knew it was all just a dream. But some day, some night, I'll just crawl right on in and watch all you through the slits and cracks. . . you children in your awkward, earth-prohibited adult bodies. Can you hear the children laugh?

No comments:

Post a Comment