Poetry

The target of poetry is the soul. The goal is to attract the soul like a flower attracts a butterfly. But sometimes it is a thistle on which the butterfly lands. Who can predict the pattern of a butterfly’s flit? Poetry changes our flit plans, not always predictably.





Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Post Modernism and Christianity

I have been studying Post Modernism and it's effect on culture in general and on Christianity in particular. The study has been like taking a small tiger cub into my life, finding it fun and playful especially for what it does to the old modernist armchair (its upholstery is torn to shreds.). I like that, I always hated that armchair anyway, never sat in it. But I look in the eyes of my new little pet and ask "What exactly does your DNA require you to become?" I am increasingly wondering what it will grow up to be. I went to a conference last week where Brian McLaren presented a paper that gave me a glimpse of what was touted by the responding paper (by Dr Duane Litfin, president of Wheaton College) to be a very toothy grown up tiger. Brian had said, "I have put my eggs in the basket that suggests we need to rethink our understanding of the gospel -- both for the sake of faithfulness to Holy Scripture, and for the sake of mission in the emerging postmodern culture." Dr. Litfin objected pointing out that Paul had clearly stated the gospel in, I Cor. 15:1-8

1Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 7After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. 8And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

Duane was actually in good post modern form in that the gospel turned out to be a story, a story that needs interpretation to get at its real meaning. In many other places Paul does interpret the meaning of the story. What exactly is Brian's point? It seems simply that we as the church may have misinterpreted the story, or may have misunderstood Paul's interpretation. That seems simple enough, and possible.

I still like this little fella. Listen to him purr.

No comments:

Post a Comment