Poetry

The target of poetry is the soul. The goal is to attract the soul like a flower attracts a butterfly. But sometimes it is a thistle on which the butterfly lands. Who can predict the pattern of a butterfly’s flit? Poetry changes our flit plans, not always predictably.





Thursday, September 18, 2003

Sitruc Learns to Sing

Sitruc Learns to Sing

Gather around children. I want to tell you the story of Sitruc.He was a mean little kid until he was eleven. For years he had heard the Holy Spirit calling "Sitruc, come to me and let me have your spirit." Then one hot summer night while everybody was singing "Just as I Am" he wept his way to the altar rail down front. The Holy Spirit answered his sobs and said, "Thank you Sitruc, I'm here, in you and you are here, in me." And a song was born in Sitruc that strangely he was afraid to sing out loud. Here's how it went:

In my spirit, In my spirit,
The Holy One sings of your glory
I will worship, With my spirit
Worship you thou mighty prince of glory.

That was the first night of a week of revival meetings in the little church on Chauncy Street whee the preaching was as hot as the summer night on which the meetings were held. Joy was awakening in Sitruc. The preacher haranged about hell and joy bubbled in Sitruc. The preacher shouted about sin and joy sizzled in Sitruc. Sitruc's soul was blessing the Lord. The Holy Spirit gave him a second song but he could not sing it either. It was like the songs were too holy, or maybe too precious to lay out there for anyone to hear. So he hid it away in his heart. It went like this:

In my soul, In my soul,
The song breaks forth in holy laughter
Joy is bubbling, In my soul
A river flowing ever after

Over the years the song of his spirit never ceased. The song of his soul however was often silent. Especially when the cold winds of worry blew. Then one day he went to another meeting. The summer night was hot and the preaching sizzled but one thing was different. They were singing his songs. Out loud! He was so embarrassed. They celebrated his spirit song. They raised their hands for his soul song. He even saw one lady dance! And one old man knealt down right in the aisle. Sitruc didn't know what to think. The kingdom was supposed to be invisable. Worship was to be internal. These people acted as if King Jesus were really there. Really there? He was really there! Sitruc then began to sing out loud in worship of the King who was really there. That's when the Holy Spirit finished his song,

With my body, with my body
I sing and clap and raise my hands,
And I bow down, with my body,
For you have loosed me from my bands.

You are my king, you are my Lord,
I kiss the hem of your garment
And you raise me, To look on your face
My love answers love that you have sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment